By Council President Jeanne Kingsley
The next Town council meeting will be held on Tuesday July 6 th at 7:00PM. Member of Council, Mayor Devanney, and Administration staff will be participating electronically via ZOOM in this meeting. For this and all future electronic meetings, members of the public will be able to comment by video and comments will also be accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writer letter to Township Clerk, 29 Park Ave, Berkeley Heights NJ 07922. Comments must be received by the Township Clerk by 4:00 PM on the date of the ZOOM meeting. The meeting ID for the Zoom meeting is http://zoom.us/s/3575747364.
The first item on the agenda is a conference session to discuss a potential ordinance to create a Technical Review Committee. This committee, if formed, would provide advisory review of development applications and requests for development review presented to the Planning and Zoning Boards. Its role would be to certify completeness of applications and provide preliminary review by Board professionals to help streamline the application process and provide technical guidance to applicants before applications are heard by the respective Boards.
The second item on the agenda is a conference session to discuss a potential update to the Township’s existing bicycle ordinance to eliminate the requirement to register and obtain a license for a bicycle.
The council will vote on the following resolutions:
- Approve Bill List dated July 6, 2021 in the amount of $1,356,620.35 for vouchers that have been properly approved for processing and payment.
- Authorize the purchase of a leaf collection/garbage truck in an amount not to exceed $230.984.32. This truck is part of the capital items in the 2021 Capital Budget that was voted and approved by the Council on June 1, 2021.
- Authorize a professional services contract to Neglia Engineering Associates for surveying, engineering and construction management services for the Glenside Road Improvements in an amount not to exceed $18,525.00. The township was awarded a $62,000 infrastructure grant from Union County to fund this project.
- Authorize a professional services contract to Neglia Engineering Associates for surveying, engineering and construction management services for the Plainfield Ave sidewalk project in an amount not to exceed $46,800.00. The township was awarded a $410,000 Safe Streets to Transit grant from the NJDOT to fund a significant portion of this project.
- Authorize a professional services contract to Neglia Engineering Associates for surveying, engineering and construction management services for FY 2021 various road projects in an amount not to exceed $47,250.00. The roads included are Riceman, Powderhorn, College and Sawmill Road. The township was awarded a $380,00 grant from the NJDOT to fund a portion of this project.
- Authorize a grant application to the State of New Jersey to fund the Evaluation and treatment of Emerald Ash Borer on Ash trees on Township streets in the amount of $25,000.00 and a $12, 854.00 matching grant, from volunteer hours and the Tree trust fund.
- Authorize acceptance of the Body Worn Camera Grant program from the State of New Jersey in the amount of $59,102.00.
- Authorize the creation of the Mount Laurel Subcommittee to assist the Township in addressing Affordable Housing issues and to begin to plan for the 2025 affordable housing obligation.
- Authorize the refund of certain residential Development fees.
Click here to view the complete Council agenda.
The next council meeting is scheduled of July 20th, 2021 at 7 pm.