Dear (Customer Name or Current Resident):
As New Jersey continues to carefully reopen, PSE&G has begun to resume inspecting meters, work that was paused over the last several months in response to the spread of COVID-19. We are inspecting natural gas meters in your neighborhood, ensuring the continued safety and reliability of your gas service. We conduct these safety inspections to check for surface corrosion, leaks and other conditions that might require repair.
Here are three key pieces of information about your meter inspection:
- The inspection, which is separate from a meter reading, is free and will take about 10 minutes.
- You do not need to make an appointment at this time.
- Unless your meter requires immediate repair, there will be no interruption to service.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in the interest of maintaining the safety of our customers and our employees, PSE&G employees and PSE&G contractors will follow safety protocols guided by the CDC and NJ State Department of Health, as well as all directives from the Governor’s Office and county/municipal governments.
Here’s what you need to know about your upcoming meter inspection related to COVID:
- Prior to entering the building, our technician will ask the individual providing access a series of pandemic-related safety questions that will help guide our protocol.
- PSE&G technicians will be wearing personal protective equipment and will practice social distancing.
- We ask that anyone in the building maintain a safe distance from our technicians and allow him/her through the nearest entryway in proximity to the meter(s).
Someone over the age of 18 will need to give our technician access if you have an inside meter. The technician will need to perform a visual inspection of the meter.
Meters that are located outside will also be inspected. Although technicians will be on your property, customers do not need to be home for outside meter inspections.
We remind you to always ask for identification when a utility worker comes to the door. Employees carry a PSE&G photo identification badge, wear PSE&G logo apparel and drive PSE&G cars or trucks. If you are concerned in any way, please call PSE&G’s customer service line at 800-436-PSEG (7734) to verify the identity of our employee.
We appreciate your help in ensuring that PSE&G can continue to provide you with safe and reliable natural gas service – now and in the future.
PSE&G Gas Operations