The mission of the Berkeley Heights Grants Committee is to reduce taxpayer burden on Berkeley Heights residents by leveraging available grants in the county, state, and federal sources including government, individuals, family foundations, corporations, businesses, social clubs and any other possible funding source. The Committee is comprised of a volunteer team of Berkeley Heights residents with varied skills and expertise to research, apply for, and secure grants that would be applied to public projects in Berkeley Heights for the benefit of all residents.
Meetings are held monthly. The regular day and time of the meetings will be determined according to the survey of committee members and scheduled for a calendar year. The committee can continue business online via electronic emails, conference calls, Go To Meetings etc. on an as needed basis.
Agendas & Minutes
Once the Committee begins to meet, agendas will be available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Paul Donnelly, Council Member
- Doug Birbrower
Term expires: December 31, 2023
Term expires: December 31, 2022
Term expires: December 31, 2022
Term expires: December 31, 2024
- The Grants Committee shall consist of nine (9) members: one (1) member of the governing body, and eight (8) volunteers. Members shall be residents of, or owners of businesses located within, the Township; and shall have proficiency in at least one of the following areas, or equivalent experience, in order to be appointed:
- Researcher (2 volunteers preferred): Meets with Township staff to assess grants already being applied for, researches available grants that would match Township needs. Helps department/commission/committee subject matter experts research grant background or ideas as needed.
- Writer (1 volunteer preferred): Uses available information to assist in creating compelling proposals, applications and requests for support, adhering to all rules and regulations.
- Copyeditor/writer (1 volunteer preferred): Assists in the review of proposals, applications and requests for support prior to submission to or by the Township, ensuring that such submittals are accurate, understandable, fit for purpose, and free of error, omission and inconsistency.
- Graphics Designer (1 volunteer preferred): Uses information and data to assist in developing charts, graphs, and other visual aids to strengthen proposals, applications and requests for support. Must have proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or related graphic design programs.
- Bookkeeper or Accountant (1 volunteer preferred): Analyze monetary needs of grant requests when necessary, to determine if 1 or more grants are needed to accomplish any one project.
- Proposal Coordinator (1 volunteer preferred): Reviews all grant guidelines and assembles the final package to present to the Township staff. Data Manager (1 volunteer preferred): Assists in maintaining a grant database and calendar for the Township.
Successful candidates should demonstrate an ability to not only perform the functions of a position (or positions) above, but also possess one or more of the following qualifications:
- Commitment to the mission, objective, and goals of the committee.
- Ability to confidently navigate various online grant program platforms.
- Proficiency with computer programs/platforms such as search engines, Google Drive, Excel, Microsoft Word and Adobe.
- Ability to research and write grants in a collaborative and collegial manner.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Commitment to civil discourse.
Apply to Become a Committee Member
Submit an application to become a volunteer on the Communications Committee.
The Township welcomes and encourages residents who have specific experience applicable to each Committee, Board and Commission to apply for available positions. Please note that there are only a few volunteer opportunities available each year as there are staggered terms for members of each Committee, Board and Commission. However, many committees are always in need of extra volunteers for various events throughout the year.