Requesting a Certified Copy of a Vital Record
To obtain a copy of a Birth Certificate, Marriage License, or Death Certificate you must submit a request for a Certified Copy of a Vital Record.
To submit this request:
Complete the Certified Copy Application
- Use the Application for Non-Genealogical Certified Copy of a Vital Recordfor:
- Births occurring within the last 80 years or if the individual is still living
- Marriages occurring within the last 50 years
- Deaths occurring within the last 40 years
- All Civil Union and Domestic Partnership records
- Use the Application for Genealogical Certified Copy of a Vital Record for ALL other records.
Provide the following to the Township Clerk’s office:
- Completed Application
- Current and Valid Id (see Acceptable Forms of Identification List)
- Proof of Relationship (see Eligibility and Proof of Relationship)
- $10 per copy* requested (cash or check payable to “Township of Berkeley Heights”) Please note that additional charges apply for Amended copies requiring multiple pages.
These requests can be made either in person or by mail.
Applying in Person
The Clerk’s office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m*. While appointments are not required, we strongly suggest you call ahead to ensure that someone is available to process your request.
*The Township of Berkeley Heights observes Summer Hours from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Applying by Mail
When applying by mail, requests should be sent to:
Township of Berkeley Heights
Attn: Clerk's Office (Registrar)
29 Park Avenue
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922
- Requests made through the mail, MUST contain a copy of your identification AND proof or relationship.
- As per State requirements, Certified Copies can only be mailed to the address on the Identification provided. If you wish to have your Certified Copy mailed to another address, you MUST provide a NOTARIZED letter providing the address to which you would like to have it sent.
Online Payment for Requests Previously Submitted AND Approved by the Registrar
If you have already submitted a Certified Copy Request with the supporting documentation and the Registrar has authorized the use of an online Payment, please use the link below.