Storm Resources

What to do if you need assistance

In storm situations, residents need to know who to call and where to find important information and news updates.  Here's what you need to know.

Power Outage: Notify JCP&L ASAP

  • CALL: (1-888-LIGHTS)
  • Online: Report your outage online.
  • Text: Text REG to 544487 to get started. If you are already registered for this service, text OUT to report your outage and then you can text STAT to receive your home's estimated power restoration status. 
  • Do NOT call Berkeley Heights Police Department (BHPD) to report your power outage.  You must report to JCP&L.

It is CRITICAL that EACH home reports their own outage to JCP&L to ensure that JCP&L is aware that YOUR HOME does not have power and so JCP&L can make sure that power to YOUR HOME is restored.  A neighbor reporting is great, but you must also report your own home. 

Gas Leak

  • Call PSE&G at 1-800-436-7734 or call its Emergency Line at 1-800-880-7734. 
  • If you suspect a gas leak: Open windows and outside doors for ventilation.

Register to Receive BH Emergency Notifications

  • SMART911. Please register online via this link for BH Emergency Notifications
  • Registration is required to receive alerts.

Register to Receive BH Township News Alerts & Updates

Prepare Your Home

  • Charge phones and other electronics
  • Check battery supples and locate flashlights.

Move Cars Off the Street

  • Overnight parking on Township streets is not permitted to allow for plowing

Check On Friends & Neighbors (especially elderly or infirm)

Other Serious/Non-Emergency Issues (tree down, water main break)

  • Call: Berkeley Heights Police Dispatch at (908) 464-1111
  • Create an account here to report non-emergency/non-dangerous Township issue (ex-street light outage or a pothole)

Malfunctioning Street Light

  • Call JCP&L: 1-800-662-3115
  • Online JCP&L street light service requests
  • Residents should report street light issues directly to JCP&L.  Provide the location of the light pole and the identifying number found on the pole. 

Non-Emergency Reporting

  • Water Issues
    • Call: Report any residential water emergency 24/7 directly to New Jersey American Water at 1-800-272-1325
    • Web: Fill out an online service form
  • Sewer Issues (blockages, overflows, etc)
    • Information available on Town website  
    • Call 908-464-5700, ext 2140 during business hours
    • Call 908-464-1111 (BH Police Dispatch) for Sewer interruptions during non-business hours.