Permits & Licenses
Requirements for obtaining a Firearms Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun in New Jersey are quite rigorous and vary depending on each individual’s situation. Please refer to the New Jersey State Police Website for further information.
- ALL applicants must visit the State of New Jersey New Jersey State Police Firearms & Registration website.
- Upon clicking the orange ‘Online S.T.S. 033 Form’ button, type in the ORI number NJ0200100. The ORI number MUST be entered correctly. Failure to enter the proper ORI number will result in your application having to be voided and loss of all money paid.
- Under the Purpose Tab, check off the appropriate block(s) to request the desired Card/Permits.
- *Note* -If you intend to purchase a Handgun(Pistol) click the “Permit to purchase Handgun” box.
- -Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card’s are only for ammunition and rifle/shotgun sales.
- You can complete the online application utilizing a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. During the application process, you will be asked to provide the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Please advise your references that they will be sent a questionnaire via email and to answer the questions as soon as possible to help expedite the process.
- Fees (Non-refundable):
$5 for Initial Firearms ID Card (replacement/change of address cards have no charge)
$2 for EACH permit
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the process; however, you will be contacted by a Berkeley Heights Police Department representative when your Firearms ID card/Permits to Purchase are ready to be picked up. DO NOT respond to police headquarters based upon an automated email.
The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and references. Investigations will typically be completed in 5-8 weeks.
The falsification of any information on any application or related document is a crime of the third degree under N.J.S. 2C: 39-10.c.