The Covid-19 Pandemic has been a health crises that we have been fighting for the last year and a half. Dr. Accurso’s presentation is focused on reviewing how far we have come as a society and to address the questions, health concerns, and important precautions we need to take as we integrate ourselves back into a healthy community.
To view the presentation, click here
- Union County Paratransit system - For medical appts, education, work, shopping & other errands. All Reservations may be taken up to three (3) weeks in advance. Call 908-241-8300 (Option 1) to make your reservation and schedule your trip.
- Union County College: Socially Distanced Senior Scholars - Spring 2021 Course Offerings
- Berkeley Heights Township Newsletter: March/April 2021
- Berkeley Heights Township Newsletter: February 2021
- Union County Division of Aging
- Union County Resources Directory @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Weekly Calls for Seniors
Each week, Mayor Devanney deploys a call geared specifically to seniors. These calls include the latest COVID news, as well as information about other things happening in Town, such as what's coming up at the next Township Council meeting, redevelopment updates, library news, and seasonal resident services. Emergency news will also be issued via this method. It's a great way for seniors to not only be more informed about what going on town, but to feel more connected to the community.
COVID19 Vaccines for Berkeley Heights Seniors
Berkeley Heights seniors can sign up for vaccinations through the Township's dedicated senior citizen hotline. Senior residents should email their name, date of birth, contact number and address to email@example.com, or leave a voicemail at (908) 464-2700 ext. 2229. Please also leave your email address if you have one if leaving a voicemail message. Someone will respond within 48 hours. It would be helpful to also indicate how far you or your driver are willing to drive to get the vaccine. Most available bookings are at Rockaway Center Mall in Morris County, Morristown and the Summit Community Center in Summit. At all of these locations, seniors will have their second dose scheduled before they leave the vaccination site. Additional vaccination locations are also becoming more available as supply of available vaccine doses increases.
If you are a senior citizen and would like to sign up for Township robocalls with COVID and other senior-specific and/or Township-specific information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the clerk's office at (9082) 464-2700 x. 2114. All other BH residents can sign up for Town-wide robocalls at https://www.berkeleyheights.gov/list.aspx..
Monthly Senior Newsletter
The Communications Committee publishes a monthly Township and monthly Senior newsletter online and printed to help residents know what's going on in Township Government and in the community.
COVID-19 Vaccine Update - as of April 27, 2021
All individuals aged 16 and older who live, work, or study in New Jersey are eligible for COVID-19 vaccines.
See where you or a loved one can find a vaccine appointment at covid19.nj.gov/finder.
Learn more about COVID-19 vaccines and New Jersey's vaccination efforts at covid19.nj.gov/vaccine
BH Senior News - March/April 2021
BH Senior News - November 2020
Senior Advisory Board
The Senior Citizens Advisory Board, approved on September 24, 2019, will advise the Mayor and Township Council and the Parks & Recreation Director on all matters relating to policies and programs which will serve all senior citizens of this community including:
- Identifying the needs of Berkeley Heights’ senior residents and create a citizen awareness of these needs.
- Establishing a communications system, e-mail/phone and other modes of communication to alert Berkeley Heights senior residents on urgent and other matters on-going in the township in conjunction with the Township Communications Committee.
- Advising the Mayor, Township Council, and other Township departments, commissions and committees on all matters affecting Berkeley Heights’ senior residents.
- Supporting existing services to Berkeley Heights’ senior residents, both public and private, and encouraging coordination among organizations providing such services.
- In cooperation with other organizations, disseminating information on services available to Berkeley Heights’ senior residents.
- Performing such other functions and duties as may be directed by the Mayor and Township Council.
- Serving as an advocate for the needs of senior citizens.
Berkeley Heights has a 22-passenger senior bus equipped with a wheelchair lift. Three days a week it picks up seniors who want to run errands along Springfield Avenue or attend Senior Club meetings and other social events run by the Senior Club each month. Here is the link to where you can find the online schedule.
Reservations for the Senior Bus can be made by phone a day in advance by calling the BH Recreation Department: (908) 464-0550. Please leave name, phone number, address and which trip(s) you want to take. *Casino trips every third Monday. For information, call Ramona Rademacher at 647-3295.
The bus normally does pick ups between 9:15 and 9:30 a.m. Please be ready by 9:15 a.m.
Please join the "Seniors" at their weekly meetings - Tuesdays at 10:30am at Mount Carmel (56 River Road). All welcome, working or retired. Everyone 55 and over is invited and encouraged to attend our meetings, trips and loads of parties.
Senior Club Monthly Newsletter
Don’t miss the newly revived Senior Club Monthly Newsletter. It highlights all of the speakers planned at the weekly meetings, other events, activities and trips as well as a list of the club members monthly birthdays!
Programs & Resources
Senior Club Christmas Party - December, 2019
On December 11, the Senior Club gathered at The Primavera Regency for a lively Christmas party including lunch and, as always, lots of dancing! These parties are so much fun! Here’s a quick view of the good times had by all:
Senior Club Halloween Party - October, 2019
On October 24, the Senior Club gathered at The Primavera Regency for a lovely day of lunch, dancing and, of course, costumes. It was so much fun for all. Here’s a sample:
For information on senior activities, trips or clubs, please contact Joan Luciano at 908.665.9604 or email email@example.com.
Open to all seniors - Free of Charge: Exercise Club at Mt Carmel Hall every Wed @10:15am
Senior Programs & Resources
Union County Senior Services
The County of Union presents this online resource directory as a tool for interested users. It includes:
- a helpful list of NJ Senior Services eligibility, by age
- Union County The Service Network (for seniors) Newsletter
- Frequently Called Numbers (ex - American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Union County Division On Aging)
- A list of Adult Day Centers
- Adult Protective Services
- and so much more...